Get Wisdom With Knowledge- Redbubble.com

Saturday, October 4, 2014

The Best Brain Food for Kids

Not only do you want your kids to eat healthy, you want them to eat the best food that will nourish their brain for better thinking and sustaining power.



brain foods

Whole Grains

Do you like oatmeal? Did you know that oatmeal and brown rice reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease. I remember feeding my children oatmeal before bedtime and they would sleep very well. According to WebMd. Oatmeal keeps the heart and brain arteries clear. They further added the one study showed kids who ate sweetened oatmeal did better on memory-related academic tasks than those who ate a sugary cereal. You can add cinnamon to it too and compounds in the spice protect brain cells according to preliminary research. I recall as a teenager, my aunt would always make oatmeal for breakfast. As a teenager, I did not realize the importance of breakfast and I would just skip breakfast. I did not realize at the time, but I would physically not feel as well as I could, until I started eating breakfast. It was then that I noticed how much better I felt physically and emotionally.



Dark Green Leafy Vegetables

Do your kids like greens or salads? According to health.com kale, collard greens, spinach, and broccoli are great sources of vitamin e.  I personally like mustard and turnip greens with spinach. That is an awesome combination. My children were raised on greens and cornbread. I just love it. Health.com also, mentioned that berries such as strawberries, blueberries, and blackberries help the brain's mechanism related to memory which declines with age.



Power Pack Lunches

I am so glad that Michelle Obama started the “Let's Move” Movement, getting the children to dance and exercise in school. More importantly making it mandatory that they have fresh fruit for the lunch meal programs. I have seen some of the kids plates in school with the fresh fruit and vegetables and they look very tasty and appealing. According to Prevention.com kid's lunches should provide one third of your child's calories, vitamins, and minerals. This can be provided when children bring their lunches to school also. According to ABC news the new USDA rules would phase out advertising sugary drinks and junk foods around campuses during school days. I also personally know of an elementary school principal that has taken the vendor machines out of her school.


Source:
 




More from this author:





Will you share this article with a friend?

Follow Me on
Pinterest
Photobucket


6 comments:

Unknown said...

I am a huge proponent of healthy lifestyle habits for children. You are what you eat, literally, and if we expect our children to perform well we must provide them with the food and fitness they need. My mother used to nix mustard and turnip greens together and I loved them. Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and valuable information with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop.
I'm pinning and sharing!

Unknown said...

Healthy eating is so important - great article - Thanks for linking up to Pin Worthy Wednesday, I have pinned your post to the Pin Worthy Wednesday Pinterest Board

anointedtoday said...

Thanks amber.

Unknown said...

Thanks again for sharing your great advice with us at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings

anointedtoday said...

Your welcome Deborah. It is a pleasure.

anointedtoday said...

Your welcome Terri. It is a pleasure.