Get Wisdom With Knowledge- Redbubble.com

Thursday, August 7, 2014

3 Signs You or Your Children May be Addicted to Food

Do you enjoy food? Possibly you or your children use food to help you feel good. Is there that possibility that you may be addicted to food?


healthy eating tips
Photo credit: mensatic from morguefile.com

Of course we need food and water for survival, but have you taken it a step further than that? I am the first to admit there are numerous food advertisements and many posts about favorite foods. Sometimes you are bombarded with talk or pictures about food. Do you know some of the signs of food addiction? Have you asked yourself, “Am I addicted to food?” A few of them are listed below:

1. Food Tolerance

According to WebMD. Those that have a food addiction may develop food tolerance, thus eating more and more, but getting satisfied less and less. They further add, that some may eat even when they are not hungry or to the point that they become ill. I can personally say that I have observed that. I recall when I was pregnant I ate often and a lot. I observed that my sister-in-law who was living with us was eating every time I ate. We joked about it, because she admitted she did not really need it or want it, but ate anyway. When you think about it food can be just as addictive as a drug. I have heard the expression “What is your choice of drugs?” I cannot imagine someone asking, “What is your choice of additions?”

Crayola First and Second Grade Supply Pack


2.  Social Symptoms

Do you know what social symptoms are? Social symptoms of food addition may include eating behind closed doors to hide how much you are eating, stealing food from others, or possibly even obsessing over food, according to addictions.com.

Mead Spiral 4Pack Notebook



3. Symptoms of Food Addictions

Other symptoms of food addiction may include constant obsession with what to eat, binging and then purging, or associating food with rewards. These are mentioned at Healthline.com. They further add that just like other addictions food addictions are treated the same by managing behavior and the physical cravings of the brain with possibly psychotherapy and nutritional therapy,

Possible Solutions
Abcnews.com suggest using the “3 M's” which are “Mind, Mouth, and Muscle.” I like this. They entail strengthening the mind to reduce urges, tricking the mouth by replacing unhealthy foods with healthy ones, and moving your muscles by working out to stave off cravings.


Source:

Food Addiction


Addictions

Food Addiction


Looking For a Hunger Fix by JuJu Chang and Melia Patriavia Nightline


More from this author:




Will you share this article with a friend?


Follow Me on
Pinterest
Photobucket



6 comments:

Judith Kowles said...

I think this is true. I can eat too much junk when I am working at the computer and have been curbing that big time.

Unknown said...

Hi Betty,
I am sure most of us have felt a strong compulsion to overeat at times ( I know I have) but food addiction is a serious syndrome that can be extremely harmful to a child's (or adult's) health. Thank you so much for sharing this healthy and valuable information about signs of food addiction with us at the Healthy, Happy, Green and Natural Party Blog Hop. I'm pinning and sharing!

Unknown said...

Great post and you have given us lots to think about. Thanks for sharing at Good Morning Mondays. Blessings.

anointedtoday said...

Your welcome Terri. It is a pleasure.

anointedtoday said...

Your welcome Deborah. It is a pleasure.

anointedtoday said...

You are right Judith. I can see how that can be a problem.